Air Fried Sweet Potato Recipe – Better than ever!
I often have some sweet potatoes in my pantry because they make a great meal or a simple snack. I find them delicious with a sweetness you cannot find in regular potatoes. Depending on the way they are cooked, you can create something tasty with just a couple of side ingredients and spices.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and rich in vitamins, including vitamins A, B, and C. The best way to retain most of these nutrients is to cook them with an air fryer. Due to its cooking method, the sweet potato is cooked with hot air. This ensures that nutrients are retained during the cooking process, unlike boiling the sweet potato, where the nutrients are extracted into the water.
Air fryers can give the food a better taste and texture: the sweet potatoes will be crispy on the outside while staying soft and tender on the inside. If you want to enjoy all the benefits this vegetable offers, you should try this recipe for sweet potatoes in an air fryer.
Things to note:
Buying them – Sweet potatoes are available throughout the year but usually peak in the fall and winter seasons. To create a baked sweet potato air fryer recipe, choose the small or medium-sized sweet potatoes with uniformly colored orange skin. It should have no signs of sprouting or bruising.
Storing the sweet potatoes – Sweet potatoes should be stored in a dry, cool, and well-ventilated place. Ideally, they should stay in a root cellar or a basement, far from any sources of strong heat. Don’t store your sweet potatoes in the fridge, which can lead to a hard center and unpleasant taste.
Preparing them – Sweet potatoes should always be washed thoroughly before you put them in the air fryer. The best way is to use a vegetable brush and scrub it under cool running water. Depending on your recipe, you can either peel the skin or leave it. In this roasted sweet potato air fryer recipe, we leave the skin on so that it can get an extra crispy texture.
Tips for preparing sweet potatoes in an air fryer:
When you are air frying sweet potatoes, you should keep the following aspects in mind:
- Place the sweet potatoes in the basket in a single layer. The air must circulate adequately so the sweet potatoes can become nice and crisp. Tip: leaving a small gap between the sweet potatoes will also ensure the edges are crisped.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half by running the knife from the tip to the bottom of each potato.
- You may need to chop the sweet potatoes into quarters if you have a small air fryer. This will allow them to be cooked evenly in the air fryer basket.
- Using an air fryer silicone liner or air fryer parchment is optional, which prevents the potatoes from sticking to the bottom, and makes it easier to lift out in one piece because the skin will not be stuck to the basket.
- Generally, when using the air fryer, no oil is required. However, I like adding a little bit of avocado oil to the sweet potatoes as they will cook for more than 30 minutes in this recipe. When choosing the oil to use in your air fryer, select one with a high smoke point. This is because the air fryer can get to high temperatures rapidly, so if any oil is in the air fryer, it can burn if it doesn’t have a high smoke point. It is also recommended to use oils in a spray because this will distribute the oil evenly on the food, ensuring the food is browned evenly. Most oils can come in a spray bottle, or you can buy an oil sprayer bottle and fill your oil into the bottle.
- Clear soups paired with this air-fried sweet potato recipe make it a warm hearty meal.
- Fresh leafy salads with cherry tomatoes drizzled with balsamic vinegar will lighten the meal.
- For sharing meals, these sweet potatoes will go well with air-fried fish, like snapper.
- If you want more protein, pair these air-fried sweet potatoes with butter garlic air-fried prawns.
Crispy and soft air-fried sweet potato recipe
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Non-scratch tongs
- 1 Vegetable brush
- 1 Parchment paper or silicone liner optional
- 4 small or medium-sized Sweet potatoes
- 1 Avocado
- 100 grams Cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 Lemon
- 70 grams Tin of mixed black beans and corn
- 5 grams Shallots chopped
- Avocado oil spray
- Black papper
- 250 grams Stir fried diced pork
- Clean the sweet potato with a vegetable brush under cool running water. Then pat them dry with kitchen towels.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half by cutting them down the middle lengthwise and then place them in the air fryer basket.
- Apply avocado oil spray and sprinkle salt and pepper onto the sweet potatoes.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 170 degrees Celsius (338 degrees Fahrenheit) and the timer to 30 minutes.
- Place the basket tray into the air fryer once it starts beeping.
- While the air fryer cooks the sweet potatoes, prepare the filling.
- Wash and chop the cherry tomatoes into cubes.
- Wash and slice the shallots into thin rings.
- Cut the avocado in half and take the pit out. Then scoop each side of the avocado flesh out with a spoon and place them in a mixing bowl. Use a fork and mash the avocado to have a smooth consistency.
- Open the tin of mixed black beans and corn. Add it to the avocado along with the cherry tomatoes and shallots. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper into the mixture. Squeeze ¼ lemon juice and stir the mixture to combine all the ingredients. Then use glad wrap to cover the mixture and place it into the fridge.
- When the air fryer has beeped and stopped cooking, take the air fryer basket or tray out and test whether the sweet potatoes are fully cooked. To do this, take a fork and stick it through the center of a sweet potato. It should go in easily, and the flesh should be soft. If the center is still hard, place it back into the air fryer at the same temperature for another 5 minutes and check again.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, use a non-scratch tong to take them out and place them on a plate.
- Take the avocado mixture out of the fridge and put a spoonful onto the air-fried sweet potato. Then put some pulled pork on top. Stir fry some diced pork with oyster sauce and place it on the avocado mixture. Then serve it as a main dish on its own, or look at our serving suggestions above for some ideas.